July 7, 2009

Bedroom Makeover On A Budget



I have been tired of our bedroom furniture for a long time and have been just ITCHING to paint it! It was all that santa fe, mexican pine wood. I didn't take a before shot, but here is pretty much what my dresser looked like:


I painted it with flat, interior paint from Walmart (13 bucks a gallon), distressed and antiqued it, and stained the top. I also replaced the hardware with some bin pulls I found on ebay for $1.50 a pull. The hardware was a BEASTLY project - by far the worst part of refinishing this dresser. Those things are stapled in there instead of screwed, so I pretty much had to claw them out one by one. And Mark had to put the new stuff on - not fun on this dresser, but at least it is done! Here's what it looks like now:


I did the night stands in the same paint (they were the same wood as the dresser) and decided to leave the dang hardware on there. It will just have to stay there until it bugs me enough to rip it out and replace it:

And then came the headboard. I like bright colors, and I decided I wanted to paint it a bright robin's egg blue. I think people thought I was a little crazy, and I was freaking out a little bit as I was painting it, but I ended up loving it (luckily!). The bedding was a steal on Overstock, and my talented mother-in-law/seamstress made the pillows. I almost bought the same quilt we had for the last 5 years and totally wore out from Pottery Barn, but my friend Hillary talked me out of it. It's so nice to have a change, and a cheap one!

17 comments:

Hess Fam said...

I Love it! So funny! I just told Matt about an hour ago that our bedroom needs to be remodled!! It looks way good!!And I love the blue headboard!

Steven and Kimberly said...

Holy Cow, you are amazing. Not only am I too afraid to try soomething like that, when I do, it never turns out. I just wish I had the crafty bug in me....

Ashley said...

LOVE the new room! I am loving the blue headboard with the new bedding, it looks amazing.

Clark Family said...

Kim I love it! You are so talented/creative! I really like the robin egg blue on your bed. Love the dresser. I wish I was brave enough to do something like that. It all flows together so well. I really like your bedding too! I've been looking for something black and cream! Looks way good! Enjoy sleeping in your newly completed bedroom.

Troop 442 said...

AWESOME!!!! I'm glad you finally got the pictures up! It looks so good! You definitely have the talent!!!XOXO

THE BELL HOUSE BLOG said...

LOVE IT!! The headboard is beyond beautiful it looks so good way to be creative!

wood0306 said...

Love it!!! Would you like to do mine next!!!

Angela said...

That's incredible! It looks great! I am just too lazy to do anything like that so I guess I will always end up paying out the nose for it. All of you girls are so crafty....is it being a stay at home mom that makes on crafty or are you born with it? Well, I guess either way I am out of luck right?

Krystal said...

What can I say...it's the bomb! You know that I love it! You will also be very proud of me. I sanded the wall and did the wood! It was primed today and really turned out good! Yay!

Hillary Garner said...

love it! You are so good! Glad I have you and Krystal to waste endless time talking about home decor projects...and even more glad that you have my same frugal bug:)

A'Lisha said...

you are so talented! it looks so nice!!

Adam and Sarah said...

All of it looks AWESOME! Good job. The head board is so so so cute that color!
Oh and thanks for your advice about the dresser I was painting --it helped me out a LOT (re: we didn't have to sand anymore of it!)! You're wonderful! :D

Emily S said...

Wow, it looks awesome! I've got to get the courage to give stuff a try, our furniture is terrible . . . maybe a dog pillow would spice things up around here.

Holly Marie said...

Oh my gosh Kim I LOVE it!

Whitney said...

Ok kim I have been stalking your blog for a while now and just want to know if you want to come give my house a makeover? ha no really you are so amazing! I am so jealous of your creative touches on everything, so cute!

Nicole said...

My, you are a crafty woman! I love it so much more than the generic furniture from RC Willey. Which is what I have been looking at...boring! Perfect color choice. When are you coming to Boise to decorate for me???

HrncirikHome said...

Kim, I love it! Those are exactly the colors I would have chosen, but I do not have the talent or the patience for such a project. I've got a set of really ugly bedroom furniture that I attempted to paint. I think I will try to distress them some day. They'll look much better I'm sure! Thanks for the inspiration!
All the best,
your cousin Rachelle.