August 12, 2009

Spirited

Wyatt about gave me a heart attack in Walmart today. Seriously, this child. We made it through grocery shopping with no major meltdowns, a feat with a one and four year old in the shopping cart. 1 trip to the potty, 2 bananas, 1 donut and 1 hour later, and we were ready to pay. Yay! My favorite part of the experience of shopping with toddlers. I would rather have my fingernails ripped off. One by one.

So I am unloading groceries as fast as I can onto the conveyer belt and Jaxson is playing with the little toys in the register isle. (P.S. I would love to get my hands on whoever made those little cell phones and cameras and decided to put them at the point in the store where parents are the most worn down and desperate- I think we have about 12 of those little beauties floating around the house.) I usually leave wyatt strapped in at this point, but he had wiggled out of the buckle and I was afraid he was going to fall on his head trying to reach the candy. So...I let him down on the floor to play with Jaxson. Both boys were sitting there playing with the cameras and phones while I unloaded the rest of the loot.

I had a big bag of dog food on the bottom of my cart, and the elderly man who was checking my groceries couldn't get his hand scanner to work. So he was trying to lift the bag to the register, and I took about 5 seconds to help him. 5 seconds!! All of the sudden, the nice lady behind me was like, "ummm, your son just ran off, he was heading to the exit". I look down. There is Jaxson, still playing. Wyatt is no where to be seen. I took off at a dead run through walmart (I still can't see him), I ran through carts and people around the door to the exits and see him just RUNNING for all he is worth through the double doors. I caught him just as his feet hit the parking lot of busy cars. AAAAAAHHHH! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry. I think I was close to doing both. So I carry him kicking and screaming back to the check stand (where I had left my groceries and Jaxson) to pay for our stuff and get the heck out of there. Sweaty and near tears, I'm trying to pay one handed as I hold a squirming-like-crazy Wyatt under my other arm, and the nice elderly man working the register goes "He sure is spirited." Uhhhh...yeah.

11 comments:

Melissa said...

If that isn't every moms nightmare. You poor thing. I'd offer to keep him next time but I don't think he would be a big fan of that! :)

Krystal said...

This made my night after the day I had today! I can't stop grinning...sure is spirited! Seriousely you have to laugh because otherwise we would all be down at the funny farm!

SaratogaHills1stRS said...

Oh, Kim. I'm so sorry! I had to laugh just picturing you and him, but I would have been SOOOO mad if it was my child! Ooooh! What a stinker! Yes, he is spirited! I'm sorry....

Anonymous said...

When you figure out who it was that decided to put the cell phones, cameras, and pens that spin and light up right by the check out stands....let me know!! We have so many of those dang things, lol.

Ashley said...

Us and our "spirited" children...that little stinker! I hate grocery shopping anyway, and bringing kids is just torture. Tate's awful too and I usually end up crying on the way home because I see all these other mom's with their kids who are actually behaving and just sitting in the cart--so unfair!

Hess Fam said...

Im so glad I am not alone!! I love imagining us all crying because of our naughty kids!!!

Cory and Holly said...

It make you question why it's against the law to leave your children locked in the car!! I'm so sorry! Seriously, just drop them off at my house next time!

Hillary Garner said...

Oh my gosh Kim! I think we've all had those days in Walmart...and I totally agree with you about those dang toys in the checkout isles! What a little stinker Wyatt is...glad you caught up to him when you did though:)

Hillary Garner said...

Oh my gosh Kim! I think we've all had those days in Walmart...and I totally agree with you about those dang toys in the checkout isles! What a little stinker Wyatt is...glad you caught up to him when you did though:)

A'Lisha said...

I don't care what anybody says being a mom is the hardest job in the world!!

Anonymous said...

This scenario sounds VERY familiar! Except Liberty nearly did get hit by a gigantic lifted truck. I don't know who cried more me or her, but she certainly learned her lesson. Now she tells me that she doesn't ever want to get squished like a bug, so she only runs out into the parking lot 10% of the time instead of all the time. Glad it turned out okay! Kids and Walmart are a guaranteed nightmare!